Neue Galerie Graz
Opening on November 26, 2011 in the Joanneum Quarter, the Neue Galerie Graz now occupies a large museum building, refurbished to the most modern standards, with an exhibition area of over 2000 square meters. In 1941, the Neue Galerie Graz emerged from the division of the Landesbildergalerie into separate galleries the Alte and Neue Galerie, and since then has taken over the part of the collection that dates from its time of origin in the 19th century to today.
Since the 1960s the Neue Galerie has followed the development of various contemporary artistic positions, and documented them in its collection. The collection’s holdings today include art movements like Biedermeier, Realism, Jugendstil and (regional) forms of classical Modernity, positions of Austrian and international painting after 1945 (including from the so-called “Trigon” countries), Viennese Actionism, Media and Conceptual Art, etc.. The collection has work in different media such as painting, graphic art, poster art, sculpture, photography and video, and contains more than 60,000 objects in total.
A focus within the Neue Galerie Graz is the BRUSEUM, which has a permanent exhibition area and space for its own collection and research, allowing for scientific investigation into the extensive work of Günter Brus.
You can find further information on the website of the Neue Galerie Graz.
Neue Galerie, Graz, Joanneumsviertel, Photo: UMJ / J. J. Kucek
Johann Kniep, Ideale Landscape, 1806, N. Lackner, UMJ
Günter Brus, Wiener Spaziergang, 1965/1989
Hans Hollein, Stuhl, 1972, Photo: UMJ
Vermittlungsangebot der Neuen Galerie Graz, Foto: UMJ
Neue Galerie Graz, photo: UMJ
Neue Galerie Graz, Photo: UMJ